We are delighted that many restaurants in Cape Town and the Winelands have seen the benefit of offering specials, and have done so since last winter, many running through summer too. The winter specials for Cape Town and Winelands restaurants follow below, and will be updated continuously:
* Pure at Hout Bay Manor: 3-course dinner for R195, includes 2 glasses of Groote Post wine, 10 May – end June. Closed July. Tel (021) 790-0116.
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : sirloin and chips R79, seafood platter R 129, 1 kg prawn platter R99, oysters R9 each, sushi platter R109. Half price sushi all day. From 9 May. Tel (021) 439-9027
* Sinn’s Restaurant at Wembley Square: lunch (6 options) at R50. 3-course dinner with glass of wine R150. Sunday Buffet – 2 courses plus coffee R120, 3 courses plus coffee R150. Winter. Tel (021) 465-0967
* Theo’s on Beach Road, Mouille Point: oysters R6 each, 1 kg prawns R99, line fish R79, for lunch and dinner. 300 gram sirloin steak, spatchcock chicken peri peri, 500 gram spare ribs all R79 for lunch only. Full sushi platter R99, half platter R50. Winter. Tel (021) 439-3494.
* Sevruga in the V&A Waterfront: half price sushi Monday – Saturday 12 – 6 pm; 25 % off sushi Sunday 12 – 2pm, 50 % off Sunday 2 – 6 pm, 3-course menu R160, daily, lunch and dinner; 2-course lunch R120. 3-course lunch and dinner R160. End September. Tel (021) 421-5134
* Myoga at Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 7 course dinner, with 5 choices per course, for R195, Mondays – Saturdays, throughout winter. Tel (021) 657-4545
* Beluga, The Foundry, Green Point: 1 kg Prawns R99; 50 % off sushi and cocktails all day Sunday, and from 12h00 – 19h00 weekdays. 2-course lunch R120; 3-course lunch and dinner R160. End September. Tel (021) 418-2948.
* 221 Waterfront: 3-course meal at R135 on Wednesdays. Dine & Cruise package: 1,5 hour cruise, 2 glasses sparkling wine, 3-course meal R370; Lunch & Cruise package: 1 hour cruise and meal R210. Winter. Tel (021) 418-3633
* The Lookout Deck, Hout Bay: Seafood Platter with line fish, mussels, calamari and prawns R65. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 790-0900
* La Mouette, Regent Road, Sea Point (photograph above): Tasting Menu (items change monthly) 6 courses R240 for 2 persons, Tuesday – Sunday dinner, Friday and Saturday lunch. Winter. Tel (021) 433-0856
* Bertha’s in Simonstown: 1 kg Queen prawns cost R99 each, Calamari, mussel, chips, BBQ chicken and wing platter R99, 600g ribs plus 500ml Windhoek draught R99. Winter. Tel (021) 786-2138
* Aubergine: 2-course lunch R184, 3-course lunch R235. 2-course dinner R200, 3-course dinner R275. Wednesdays – Fridays except public holidays. Winter. Tel (021) 465-4909
* Ferryman’s Tavern, V&A Waterfront: Combo-specials R100 (linefish + calamari), R85 (sirloin + calamari), R99 (pork rib + chicken wings), Mussel hotpot R75. Winter. Sunday Hot Pot Buffet Eat as much as you like R120, Sundays, until end August. Tel (021) 419-7748
* Hildebrand: 2 courses R99, 3 courses R130 if eat before 19h00; Winter. Tel (021) 425-3385
* Leaf Restaurant and Bar: 50 % off sushi all day, Dimsum 30 % off, Burgers R50 – R65. Winter. Tel (021) 418-4500
* Blowfish in Blouberg: Breakfast specials: egg and bacon sandwich R19, Three Cheese and Mushroom omelette R25, Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs R25; Lunch specials of Surf ‘n Turf, Rack of Ribs, Thai Chicken Curry, and Mussel and Chorizo Chowder at R49 Monday – Saturday 12h00 – 17h00; Dinner specials: seafood platter, slow roasted lamb shank, oxtail stew, and seafood curry R99, Monday – Saturday 17h00 onwards. Winter. Tel (021) 556-5464
* Vanilla, Cape Quarter: 1/2 price sushi 12h00 – 18h00, half-price cocktails 4 – 6 pm. Winter. Tel (021) 421-1391
* Knife restaurant, Century City: Bagel R35; Salad R45; Rib, meatball, chicken wing and chip platter R60, all specials include a beer/glass of wine/colddrink and coffee. Lunch special, 12h00 – 15h00, Mondays – Fridays. Winter. Tel (021) 551-5000
* Saul’s Sushi @ Vegas, Sea Point: 30 piece sushi platter R99 – Wednesdays and Thursdays; two for the price of one – Sundays. Winter. Tel 087 151 4595
* Bhandaris Indian Restaurant: Buffet R99 Wednesday dinner and Sunday lunch and dinner. 30 % off for pensioners on Tuesdays. Lowest value meal for free if buy bottle of wine or two drinks for a pre-booked table of up to 10, on Monday evenings; Lamb R79, Chicken R69, Fish R85 – Tuesday – Sundays. Winter. Tel (021) 702-2975/Tel (021) 782-1525.
* Zorba’s, Lagoon Beach Hotel, Lagoon Beach Drive, Milnerton: Seafood and meat platter for two plus two glasses of Hartenberg wine R199 19 August – 19 September. Tel (021) 528-2093
* Trees Restaurant, Townhouse Hotel, Cape Town: Casserole or steak with starch of day and glass of wine R105. Winter. Tel (021) 465-7050
* Down South Food Bar, 267 Long Street: Rib & Prawn Platter including a side and sauces R75. Winter. Tel (021) 422-1155.
* Il Cappero, Barrack Street: Daily lunch main course special at R40. Three month Winter Special Card, costs R 140 for 11 starters, 11 main courses and 11 desserts, at 50 % off the menu price. Monday – Friday. May – July. Tel 461-3168
* Cape Town Fish Market: “All you can eat Breakfast Buffet” R 60, Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays; Seafood lunch buffet R125, Sundays and public holidays. Winter. Tel (021) 418-5977
* Trinity, Bennett Street: “All you can eat” Dim Sum R135. Two-for-price-of-one burgers Wednesdays. Pizza R50 until 7 pm daily. Seafood platter R100 on Thursday. “All you can eat” ribs Mondays R99. Two for the price of one sushi and Dim Sum Monday – Saturday 12h00 – 20h00. Pizza R50 Monday – Saturday 12h00 – 19h00. Winter. Tel (021) 418-0624
* French Toast, Bree Street: Bruschetta tapas free Monday – Saturdays, 5 – 7 pm. All wines costing R 400 or less half price on Mondays. 2-course lunch consisting of soup and choice of two tapas plus glass of wine or cup of coffee R89, Monday – Friday 12h00 – 16h00. Winter. Tel (021) 422-3839.
* Cru Café Restaurant & Wine Bar, Cape Quarter: Scrambled egg and salmon breakfast for 2 plus bottomless cup of coffee R 78, Weekdays; 2 gourmet burgers with onion rings, French fries and Stella Artois beer R120 weekday lunch; Comfort food (Bobotie or Bredie) for two for R119, including 2 glasses of wine, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. T-bone steak (350g) for two at R150, Friday and Saturday evenings. Until September. Tel (021) 418-6334
* Krugmann’s Grill, V&A Waterfront: 250 g rump or sirloin R45, 19 – 21 August; 250g rump and starch R59, daily. Winter. Tel (021) 418-9393
* The Square, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: ‘Tastes of 2011’ focuses on different theme every month, from April – September. British menu change weekly, 2 courses R140 or 3 courses R170. Dinner only, Monday – Sunday. Tel ()21) 657-4500
* Dunes, Hout Bay : Sunday buffet with smoked salmon, oysters and cooked breakfast R100. Current. Tel (021) 790-1876
* Arnold’s on Kloof, 60 Kloof Street, Gardens: Jack Black stew (type of stew changes throughout winter) for two plus bottle of Altydgedacht R99. Tel (021) 424-4344. Throughout winter.
* Five Flies, One free main course for every main course ordered. Until end August. Tel (021) 424-4442
* Balducci’s, V&A Waterfront: Alfresco Lunch specials – soup and salad R89, fish R89, calamari R89, seafood platter for two R245, Steak Roll and chips R85, Steak and chips R99, Burgers R55 – R75, Glass of wine R27, bottle R99. daily 12h00 – 16h00. Tel (021) 421-6002
* Harbour House, Kalk Bay: 2-courses R140, 3-courses R160. Excludes Sundays. September. Tel (021) 788-4133
* Live Bait, Kalk Bay: Seafood platter R65. Sunday – Thursday evenings, and Monday – Friday lunch. September. Tel (021) 788-5755
* Polana, Kalk Bay: Mozambique-style prawns, Algarve salad and chips. R50, Sunday – Thursday dinner and Saturday lunch. September. Tel (021) 788-7162
* Massimo’s Pizza Club, Hout Bay: “Order any 2 adult take away (pizza, pasta salad)” to a minimum value of R100, and get an &Union beer, Darling Brew beer or a 500ml bottle of Bob’s Your Uncle wine for free, all day Wednesdays and Thursdays, Fridays until 17h00. Lunch offer – Free glass of house wine or beer when ordering main course, Wednesday – Friday, 12h00 – 16h00. Until August Tel (021) 790-5648.
* Codfather, Camps Bay: half-price sushi 12h00 – 18h00, daily. Winter. Tel (021) 438-0782
* Caffe Milano, Kloof Street: Lunch specials – Rump on a baguette R70; Pizza with pomodoro sauce, mozzarella and basil, R 70. Winter. Tuesday – Sunday. Tel (021)426-5566.
* Black Marlin, Simonstown: 2-course meal R115, 3-course R140 includes glass of wine. Until July. Tel (021) 786-1621
* Savoy Cabbage: 2-course R175, 3-course R195 includes glass of wine . Until end August. Tel (021) 424-2626.
* Bayside Café: for every main course, get another lesser-priced main course. Lunch Monday – Friday, Sunday – Thursday. Until October. Tel (021) 438-2650.
* Mamma Mia Restaurant, Steenberg: 2-courses R150, 3-courses R175. Until August. Tel (021) 701-8585
* Café Chameleon, Plattekloof: lunch pizza minus 10%, until August. Tel (021) 911-1025.
* Cape Town Fish Market, “All you can eat Breakfast Buffet” R60, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays; Seafood buffet lunch R125, Sundays and public holidays. Winter. Tel (021) 554-5962.
* Tobago Restaurant, Radisson Blu, Granger Bay: two main courses for price of one, Monday – Saturdays. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 441-3414
* La Bruixa, Sea Point: Seafood paella for two for R260, includes a salad. Lunch 12h00 – 15h00. Until June. Tel (021) 434-8797
* Sinatra’s, Pepper Club Hotel, Loop Street: Glass of bubbly and 6 oysters for R 60. Fridays from 16h00. Until December. Tel (021) 812-8826
* Chai yo, Canal Walk: Buy two main meals and get lesser priced one free. Winter. Monday – Sunday. Tel (021) 555-0620.
* La Boheme, Sea Point: 2-courses R95, 3-courses R115. Throughout 2011. Tel (021) 434-8797.
* Food Barn, Noordhoek: 3-courses with 2 glasses of Steenberg wine R165, 4-courses with 3 glasses of Steenberg wine R185, 5-courses with 4 glasses of Steenberg wine R215. Lunch daily. Wednesday – Saturday dinner, May – October. Tel (021) 789-1390
* What’s On Eatery, Watson Str: 2 course dinner at R 99, includes a glass of wine. Breakfast weekdays R25. Lunch R39, menu changes daily, on weekdays, R5 extra for glass of wine or milkshake, every 7th lunch is free with What’s On Loyalty Card. 11 May – October. Tel (021) 422-5652
* Nobu, One&Only Cape Town, Cape Town: 5-course R299, May – August. Tel (021) 431-4511.
* The Kove, Camps Bay: 2-courses R 120, 3-courses R150. Rump steak R79, Fillet R99, Grilled Norwegian Salmon R99, Peri Peri baby chicken R90, Line fish R90, Seafood platter R165, Gourmet Burger R60. Winter. Tel (021) 438-0004
* The Greenhouse, Cellars-Hohenhort Hotel, Constantia: 6-course meal with wines from Klein Constantia R295. Tuesday – Friday. Until September. Tel (021) 794-2137
* Dear Me, Longmarket Street: 25 % off standard price of 3-course (R240) or 5-course (R350) dinner. Thursdays. From 19 May until July. Tel (021) 422-4920
* Zenzero, Camps Bay: 2-courses R150, 3-courses R180. Parmesam lamb R99, Veal Saltimbocca R89, Beef & Reef R 120, Gnocchi Ragu R69, Pancetta and pea risotto R79, Canneloni R69, and Kingklip R99. Winter. Tel (021) 438-0007
* The Round House, Camps Bay: 7-course lunch and dinner R240, or R460 paired with wine. Winter. Tel (021) 438-4347
* Planet Restaurant, Mount Nelson Hotel: 4-course Vegan Journey menu R300, 4-course The Journey menu R220, 6-course The Journey menu R300. Winter. Tel (021) 483-1000.
* Brio 1893: 3-course dinner R165. Monday – Thursday. Closing down 12 August. Tel (021) 422-0654
* GOLD Restaurant: Winter special R200 + 10 % service fee. June – September. Tel (021) 421-4653
* Salt Restaurant, Ambassador Hotel: 2 courses R120 amd 3 courses R140. Receive a voucher for a free bottle of Hartenberg wine for the next visit if order two 3-course meals. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 439-7258
* Tuscany Beach, Camps Bay: 50 % off partner’s main course, Dinner, daily; 25 % off Sushi, 12h00 – 18h00, daily. Winter. Tel (021) 438-1213.
* 1800 Degrees, Cape Royale Luxury Hotel: Hot and cold Tapas and jazz, with a bottle of Diemersfontein wine per couple R195 per person, Sundays, 12h00 – 15h00. 100 gram sirloin, 100 gram rump and 100 gram rib eye steaks R99 plus one sauce and jacket potato. Winter. Tel (021) 430-0511.
* St Elmo’s: 2 large regular pizzas R99,90, 2 medium regular pizzas R69,90 Take-away, Daily. 2 Large pizzas R79,90 on Tuesdays; 1 Large pizza plus 400g rack of ribs and chips for R109,90, Take Away, daily; Small pizza plus 330ml Coke R24,90, Monday – Friday lunch. Winter. www.stelmos.co.za
* Café Delicieux, Welgemoed: 2-course dinner R125, 3-courses R155. Friday evenings. Winter. Tel (021) 913-1053
* Café Manhattan, 74 Waterkant Street and 247 Main Road, Three Anchor Bay: Burger and a glass of wine R45. Winter. Tel (021) 421-6666/Tel (021) 439-9666.
* Pigalle, Green Point: 3 course dinner and show R330 – R350, 8 June, 21 July, 10 August, 14 September. Tel (021) 421-4848
* Pepper Club on the Beach, Camps Bay: Seafood platter R149,95; Sirloin plus 3 prawns R 98,95; Prawn platter R98,95. Until 31 December. Tel (021) 438-3174
* Mint, Taj Hotel: 3 courses plus a glass of Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc or Merlot R185, Monday – Sundays, Until 30 September. Tel (021) 819-2000
* News Café, Green Point: English Breakfast R19, 7h00 – 9h00 Monday – Friday, 7h30 – 9h00 Saturday and Sunday, until 1 February 2012
* Long Street Café: Butter Chicken Curry and rice, R55, until 10 June, Monday – Sunday. tel (021) 424-2464
* Savour Restaurant, 15 on Orange: 3-course meal R180, Monday – Sunday, Until 31 August. Tel (021) 469-8037
* La Colombe, Constantia: Lunch – 3-courses R240, 3-courses plus wine R280, Monday – Saturday, until 30 November. Dinner – 5-courses R310, 5-courses plus wine R390, Monday – Saturday, until September. Closed 30 May – 20 June.
* Catharina’s, Steenberg Hotel: 2-course lunch R165, 3-course lunch R195, 3-course dinner R215. Until 1 September. Tel (021) 713-2222
* The Grand Café and Beach Granger Bay: 2-courses R 125, 3-courses R150, Tuesday – Sunday. Winter. Tel (021) 425-0551
* Constantia Uitsig: 2-course lunch and dinner R190, 3-course lunch R220, 3-course dinner R250, Monday – Saturday. Until 30 September. Closed 4 – 26 July.
* Blues, Camps Bay: 2-courses R120, 3-courses R150, includes a glass of wine and cup of coffee. Monday – Sunday. Until 1 September.
* River Café, Constantia: 3-courses and carafe of wine R180, lunch, Monday – Saturday. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 794-3010. Closed 10 – 30 August.
* La Cuccina, Hout Bay: Homemade meal for two plus bottle of wine R100. Monday – Saturday. Until 30 December.
* Mugged on Roeland: All you can eat Pizza R80, Friday evenings. Until 30 December. Tel 084 5894 665
* Chapman’s Peak Hotel, Hout Bay: Free bottle of Elements wine plus 2 Amarula Crème Brulee with two meat main courses ordered; 1 kg prawns R99; Soup R35; Malay Lamb Curry R89; Mussel Mexicana R69; Winter Platter R99. Monday – Saturday lunch and dinner. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 790-1036
* Rick’s Café Américain, Park Road: Tapas or Mezze Platter plus 1/2 litre house wine R105; 1/2 litre Paulaner, Erdinger and Valentins beer R 30, 5 – 7 pm; Lunch specials from R39; and more specials on drinks. Winter. Tel (021) 424-1100
* Barocca, Camps Bay Club: 2 for the price of one burgers Tuesday evenings; Pasta and a glass of wine R50 Thursday evenings. From 5 pm. Winter. Tel (021) 438-1992
* Seaforth Restaurant, Simonstown: Deep fried prawns R90 Tuesdays; hake and chips R38 Wednesdays; Eat as much calamari as you like R49 Thursdays; Steak and calamari R78 Fridays; Eat as much as you like pork spare ribs R88 Saturdays. From 6 pm. June. Tel (021) 786-4810
* Pizzeria Villagio, Howard Centre, Pinelands: Free glass of Teddy Hall wine with home-made pasta on Tuesdays. Winter. Tel (021) 531-4473.
* delish, Hout Bay: Cooked breakfast R35; Soup and ciabatta R30, Monday – Friday lunch; Tagines, ragouts and curries plus glass of wine or beer R75, from 12h00, daily. Winter. Tel (021) 790-5324
* Café Sofia, Sea Point, Kloof Street, Camps Bay and Green Point: Buy 2 main courses and get one free, from 17h00, daily. Winter.
* Saul’s Taverna, Sea Point: 2-course meal and cocktails for two R140. Winter. Tel 087 151 4592
* Adega, Sea Point: Lamb shank R69, Feijoada R89, 1kg King Prawns R95. Winter. Tel (021) 434-3029
* La Grotto, Plumstead: 300g rump steak R89. Winter. Tel (021) 797-8420.
* Wangthai, V&A Waterfront, Constantia, Lagoon Beach, Somerset West: Free glass of Durbanville Hills wine with Curry Festival meal. Winter. Tel (021) 421-8702/(021) 794-0022/(021) 551-9254/(021) 855-0112.
* Addis in Cape Ethiopian Restaurant, 41 Church Street: 2-course set menu R130. Tel (021) 424-5722. Winter
* Ocean Basket, Western Cape: Oysters R8 each, until 15 July.
* Azure Restaurant, Twelve Apostles Hotel, Camps Bay: 4-courses R370, 5-courses R495, wine flight prices R50 – R135, until October. Tel (021) 437-9000
* Diva Pizza, Buitenkant Street: 2 large margherita pizzas with choice of two toppings R85 on Tuesday and Saturday evenings. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 461-0013
* Harveys, Winchester Mansions, Sea Point: 2-course lunch R130, 3-course lunch R160; 2-course dinner R150, 3-course dinner R 180. Monday – Sunday. Winter. Tel (021) 434-2351.
* Savour, 15 on Orange Hotel: Sunday Lunch Buffet plus ‘never-ending supply of Methodé Cap Classique’ R265. Winter. Tel (021) 469-8000
* Karibu, V&A Waterfront: 220g rump, Malay chicken, calamari, and bobotie R49. Monday – Sunday lunch, Sunday – Wednesday dinner. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 421-7005.
* Hussar Grill, Green Point and Camps Bay: 2-courses R99, no corkage. Winter. Tel (021) 433-2081/(021) 438-0151
* Tokyo Restaurant & Sushi Bar: Buy one get one free daily; Sushi Buffet Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturday evenings R110. Winter. Tel (021) 424-5108.
* Allee Bleue, outside Franschhoek: choice of three 250g steaks at R115, including a glass of estate wine, current. 3-course lunch R 100, and R150 with wines paired. Chicken and Prawn Potjie with Roti and glass of Allee Bleue Isabeau or Shiraz R85. Lunch, Wednesday – Sunday. Until end September. Chicnic picnics daily (weather depending), R145 per person. Summer Tel (021) 874-1021
* Ryan’s Kitchen at Rusthof, Franschhoek: 3-course dinner R195; 6 course Taste of Africa dinner R295. Winter. Closed 27 June – 14 July. Tel (021) 876-4598.
* Reuben’s, Franschhoek: 2-course lunch and dinner R 220, 3-courses R268, 4-courses R315. Current. Tel (021) 876-3772
* Allora in Franschhoek: 3-course Sunday lunch R100. Winter. Tel (021) 876-4375.
* L’ermitage, Franschhoek: 1-course R93, 2-courses R125, 3-courses R175, and glass of wine with each option. Lunch. Winter. Tel (021) 876-9200
* French Connection, Franschhoek: 2-courses R95, 3-courses R125. Winter. Tel (021) 876-4056
* Grande Provence Jonkershuis, Franschhoek: 4-course lunch and dinner, minimum 8 guests, R200. Monday – Saturday dinner, Monday – Sunday lunch. Closed 18 – 31 July. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 876-8600
* Mon Plaisir @Chamonix, Franschhoek: 2-courses R 170, 3-courses R199. Winter. Tuesday – Sunday lunch, Wednesday – Saturday dinner. Tel (021) 876-2393.
* Monneaux Restaurant, Franschhoek Country House: Cape Malay Curry R95, Wednesday evenings; Firecracker Menu – 2 courses R145, 3 courses R175, all nights. Winter. Tel (021) 876-3386
* Salmon Bar, Franschhoek: 3-course dinner plus glass of Porcupine Ridge R150, Fridays and Saturdays. Winter. Tel (021) 876-4591.
* Mange Tout, Mont Rochelle Hotel, Franschhoek: 2-courses plus glass of wine R150, 3-courses plus glass of wine R190, Winter Brunch Buffet plus glass of bubbly R150. Winter. Tel (021) 876-3000.
* Fyndraai, Solms Delta, Franschoek. 2-course Sunday Lunch Buffet R125. Tel (021) 874-3937.
* Laborie Restaurant in Paarl: 5 food portions each paired with wine R395. Winter. Tel (021) 807-3095
* Freedom Hill: 10 % off discount with Loyalty Card. Closed July and August. Winter. Tel (021) 867-0963
* Bosman’s, Grande Roche, Paarl: 2-courses R120, 3-courses R155. Monday – Sunday lunch. Until April (except 20 December – 10 January). Tel (021) 863-5100.
* Olivello, Klapmuts, outside Stellenbosch: 2-course meal R115, 3-course meal R135 plus glass of wine. Winter. Tel (021) 875-5443
* 96 Winery Road, Stellenbosch: 3-course lunch and dinner from a la carte menu (with a few surcharges), with glass of Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc or Petit Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot, R180, Winter; 4-course Chocolate dinner in conjunction with Lindt Chocolate Studio. R300. 15 June. Tel (021) 842-2020
* Warwick, Stellenbosch: Tapas menu range R15 – R45 per dish. Winter. Tel (021) 884-4410
* Dornier Bodega, Stellenbosch: Meat-free Mondays, Comfort Tuesdays, Pasta Wednesdays, Soup Thursdays, Fish Fridays, all R79, lunch, May – September, Tel (021) 880-0557
* Towerbosch Restaurant, Knorhoek Wine Estate, Stellenbosch: Soup & Bredie Menu with soup and bredie R90, Wednesdays – Saturdays; Asado Argentian-style braai on Sundays R165. May – August. Tel (021) 865-2958
* Tokara Restaurant, Stellenbosch: Chef’s Menu – 3 courses and amuse bouche and palate cleanser R225. From 10 May, during winter. Tel (021) 885-2550
* Jordan Restaurant with George Jardine, Stellenbosch: 1-course meal with glass of wine R95; 4-course meal with 2 glasses of wine R 225. Tuesday – Saturday lunch, Thursday and Friday dinners. From 10 May in winter. Tel (021) 881-3612
* Terroir, Kleine Zalze estate: 2-courses R170, 3-courses R195. Includes glass of Kleine Zalze wine. May – September. Monday – Saturday lunch and dinner, Sunday lunch. Closed 1 – 11 July. Tel (021) 880-8167
* Restaurant Christophe, Stellenbosch: 4-course dinner R150 Tuesday – Saturday. Inexpensive Bistro lunches Tuesday – Friday. Closed down 24 June. Tel (021) 886-8763
* Overture, Stellenbosch: 2-course meal R 160. Winter, but closed in July. Tel (021) 880-2721
* Wild Peacock Food Emporium, 32 Piet Retief Str, Stellenbosch: 3-course dinner and glass of wine R140. Wednesday evenings. Winter. Tel (021) 887-7585
* Delaire Graff, Helshoogte Pass, Stellenbosch : 3-course Organic Tasting Menu with 2 glasses of wine R295, Monday – Friday lunch, Wednesday – Friday dinner. Winter. Tel (021) 886-8160
* Johan’s at Longridge, Stellenbosch: 2-course lunch plus glass of wine R150. Friday – Tuesday lunch (closed Wednesdays and Thursdays). Winter. Tel (021) 855-2004.
* Delheim, Knorhoek Road, Stellenbosch: 3-course Mushroom Week mushroom menu R120 for 3 courses and 3 glasses of Delheim wine. Until 10 July. Tel (021) 888-4607
* Waterkloof, Somerset West: Receive a R100 voucher off for a meal in June, for meals in May. Tel (021) 858-1491
* Season in Hermanus: Sunday lunch roast from R65; Afval plus soup and glass of wine R65 on Wednesday for lunch or dinner; Lowest priced of two steaks ordered on Friday evenings is free. August. Tel (028) 316-2854
* The Class Room, Hermanus: 3-course Sunday lunch R130. Winter. Tel (028) 316-3582
* Rossi’s Italian Restaurant, Hermanus: Half price pizza and pasta Mondays; free bottle of house wine for table of 2 or more on Wednesdays; Children under 4 eat free on Thursdays. Winter. Tel (028) 312-2848
* Mediterrea, Hermanus: 50 % off all main courses, Sunday – Thursdays. Until 31 August. Tel (028) 313-1685
* Joe’s Restaurant, Stanford: Abalone Buffet (abalone fritters, sausage, scotch eggs, burgers, curry, samoosas, and lasagne) R95, daily lunch. Winter. Tel (028) 3410 662
* Nguni – Friday dinner special R50. Every Friday. Winter. Tel (044) 533-6710
POSTSCRIPT 5/5: TV presenter Liezel van der Westhuizen has praised her Restaurant Special meal at Blowfish as follows: “Thank you for your HotWinter specials on your site, tried out the lunch special at BlowFish, it was good value for money xoxo”
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage
Copyright: Whale Cottage Portfolio
One of the exciting things about winter is that a number of restaurants are offering excellent value Gourmet evenings, with top wine makers presenting their wines, paired with special dishes prepared by the chefs of the restaurants. It is a shame that some of the dates clash.
The Pavilion at The Marine Hotel, Hermanus
6 May: Bouchard Finlayson Winery
3 June: Paul Cluver Wines
1 July: Klein Constantia Wine Estate
5 August: Creation Wines
2 September: Hamilton Russell Vineyards & Southern Right
The 5-course dinners, paired with wines, cost R 320 per person. Tel (028) 313-1000
The Grand Café Camps Bay
11 May: Peter Falke Wines
15 June: Stellekaya
13 July: Haute Cabriere
The 3-course food and wine pairing dinner costs R300. Tel (021) 438-4253 NOTE THAT THE RESTAURANT IS CLOSED UNTIL END JULY, CONTRADICTING THE NOTICE ABOUT THE PAIRINGS THEY SENT
The Grand on the Beach
18 May: Antonij Rupert Wines
22 June: Ernst Gouws & Co
20 July: Peter Falke
The 3-course food and wine pairing dinner costs R300. Tel (021) 425-0551
Bosman’s, Grande Roche Hotel, Paarl
27 May: AA Badenhorst Family Wines with winemaker Adi Badenhorst
10 June: The House of Krone with winemaker Matthew Krone
22 July: Glen Carlou with winemaker Arco Laarman
26 August: Backsberg with winemaker Guillaume Nell
3 September: Nederburg Auction Pre-dinner with cellarmaster Razvan Macici
28 October: Raats Family Wines with winemaker Bruwer Raats
The 5-course meal with wine, coffee, canapés and petit fours costs R690. Tel (021) 863-5100
The Garden Room, Mount Nelson Hotel
29 April: Vergelegen with winemaker Andre van Rensburg
27 May: Bouchard Finlayson with winemaker and owner Peter Finlayson
24 June: Neil Ellis Wines with owner Neil Ellis
29 July: Groote Post with winemaker Lukas Wentzel
26 August: Rust en Vrede with winemaker Coenie Snyman
30 September: Deetlefs with winemaker Willie Stofberg
28 October: Boschendal with winemaker Lizelle Gerber
15 November: Moreson with winemaker Clayton Reabow
9 December: Boekenhoutskloof with winemaker Marc Kent.
The 7-course dinner costs R 395 per person with matching wines. Tel (021) 483-1000
Chenin Wine Bar and Restaurant
26 May: Ernie Els Wines
Cost is R 100. Tel (021) 425-2200
28 April: Buitenverwachting winemaker Brad Paton
Cost of the 5-course meal is R460. Tel (021) 794-3522
Nobu at One&Only Cape Town
29 April: Stark-Condé Wines
Cost of the 7-course meal is R R480. Tel (021) 431-5111
What’s On, Watson Street
7 May: Fleur du Cap winemaker Christoff de Wet
Cost of the 6-course dinner and wines is R300 per person or R500 per couple. Tel (021) 422-5652
9 May: Mischa and Eventide
6 June: Barton Wines winemaker JP Geyer
4 July: Nabygelegen with winemaker James McKenzie
Cost of 5-course dinner and wines is R 200. Tel (021) 465-2727
1800°C Grill Room, Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
7 May: Hartenberg Estate
2 June: Morgenhof
7 July: Warwick wine estate
4 August: La Motte Wine Estate
Cost of 4-course dinner with welcome drink and wines R335. Tel (021) 430-0506
Casa Nostra, Sea Point
28 May: Fairview
2 July: Klein Constantia
Cost of 4-course meal R230. Tel (021) 433-0187
30 June: Fleur du Cap Unfiltered
Cost of 5-course meal, Wine and Flavoured Salt tasting by Craig Cormack of Sofia’s is R400. Tel (021) 809-8025
22 June: L’Avenir Vineyards
6 July: Constantia Glen
3 August : Diemersdal
7 September: Creation Wines
5 October: Rustenberg Wines
Cost of 3-course Tapas and wine pairing R 220 per person. Tel (021) 422-3839.
24 August: Overgaauw vintage port pairing (with David van Velden) with food, R80. Tel (021) 422-3839
Café BonBon, Franschhoek
8 June: Jacoline Haasbroek from My Wyn
22 June: Haut Espoir
4-course dinner and wine pairing R195 per person. Tel (021) 876-3936
La Mouette, Sea Point
8 June: Arco Laarman from Glen Carlou
4-course French theme dinner R240 per person. Tel (021) 433-0856
Swiss & Austrian Social Club, Sea Point
11 June: Waverley Hills Organic Wines
5-course dinner paired with five wines R250. Tel (021) 434-8405
19 July: Joubert-Tradauw
9-course emal paired with wines R225. Tel (021) 424-6334
15 on Orange
21 July: Warwick wines
6-course meal paired with wines R295. Tel (021) 469-8000
27 July: Glenwood Wines
4-course meal paired with wines R220. Tel (021) 551-5000
Warwick Wine Estate
22 and 29 July: 4-course dinner paired with Warwick wines, celebrating Stellenbosch Wine Festival. R390. Tel (021) 884-4410
The Class Room, Hermanus
12 August: Rust en Vrede
3-course dinner paired with wines R195. Tel (028) 316-3582
Harvey’s at Winchester Mansions
3 August: Avontuur Wine Estate
5-course dinner paired with 7 Avontuur wines R345. Tel (021) 434-2351
5 October: Luddite
5-course dinner paired with 6 Luddite wines at R345 per person Tel (021) 434-2351
Sinn’s, Wembley Square
25 August: Durbanville Hills with winemaker Wilhelm Coetzee
4-course dinner paired with 4 wines R225. Tel (021) 465-0967
Pure Restaurant, Hout Bay Manor
24 September: Groote Post wine estate
5-course dinner paired with wines R 260. Tel (021) 791-9393
96 Winery Road
28 September: Van Ryn’s
4-course dinner paired with Van Ryn’s brandy R320. Tel (021) 842-2020
Cassia Restaurant, Nitida wine estate, Durbanville
30 September: Nitida wines
4-course dinner paired with Nitida wines R 300. Tel (021) 976-0640
Bayside Café, Camps Bay
30 September: Beyerskloof Wines
5-course dinner paired with Beyerskloof Wines R 175 per person. Tel (021) 438-2650
Clos Malverne, Stellenbosch
28 October: Clos Malverne wines
5-course dinner paired with Clos Malverne wines R 445. Tel (021) 865-2022
La Residence, Franschhoek
18 November: Waterford Wines with winemaker Francois Haasbroek
6-course Dinner paired with Waterford wines R 800. Tel (021) 876-4100
The Vineyard Hotel
Friday 13 May
Schalk Burger & Sons
Friday 27 May
Warwick & Vilafonté
Friday 10 June
West Coast Wines with Tierhoek
Friday 24 June
Stellakaya with Ntsiki Biyela
Friday 1 July
Friday 15 July
Solms Delta Wine Estate
Friday 5 August
Dombeya Wines with Rianie Strydom
Friday 19 August
Catherine Marshall Wines
Friday 2 September
Meerlust Wine Estate
Friday 16 September
Favourites from Wine Concepts
Friday 7 October
Friday 21 October
Wines from the Swartland (Kloovenburg, Babylon’s Peak)
Friday 28 October
Constantia Valley Wines
The dinner costs R 250 per person. Tel (021) 657-4500.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage
For a mid-season break, I chose to spend a weekend at Grand Dédale Country House, on the Doolhof wine estate on the Bovlei Road in Wellington, about ten days ago. I could not have chosen a more relaxing and grander place than this 5-star hotel and its excellent restaurant, which is on the Wellington Wine Route.
Doolhof is part of a farm that was awarded to the first owner in 1709, and means ‘labyrinth’ in Afrikaans. It probably was given this name because it was at the end of a cul de sac. The current owners Dorothy and Dennis Kerrison bought the farm from the neighbouring Retief family. The homestead was renovated by Mrs Kerrison, who is an interior designer in the United Kingdom, and her initial R7 million budget had doubled at the end of the project. Money does not appear to be an object in the tasteful design of the very spacious rooms, and almost every detail has been thought of. Angelo and Tina Casu rent the 6-bedroom homestead and cottage from the owners, having signed an eight year lease, and have called their establishment Grand Dédale, which means ‘large labyrinth’ in French. The Casus have managed Grand Dédale for the past 17 months, and previously were with the Winchester Mansions in Sea Point and Palmiet Valley in Paarl.
The house is an old Cape Dutch house, with new additions cleverly married into the Cape Dutch origin of the house. Some aspects, notably the staircase to the upstairs loft rooms, are extremely modern. The high gloss marble tiles in the public rooms on the ground level have been criticised by some as not being suitable for a Cape Dutch house, but I felt that they looked perfectly clean and chic. The star attraction for me was the 15 meter salt water pool. Parking is away from the homestead, at the winery, a benefit in not seeing any cars, but a disadvantage in not being able to keep an eye on one’s vehicle. The bedroom I stayed in had three sections, a very spacious bedroom, although a slanting ceiling does create space limitations too, with a more than king size bed, and excellent quality linen. A second section has a basin, the safe and the hanging space. The bathroom is in the third section, has a bath with shower over it, and a collection of Charlotte Rhys products. The high gloss tiles are a bit scary to walk on with wet feet, but a very generously sized bathmat is made available. Airconditioning is a great advantage to cool things down in the renowned Wellington heat. There are more than enough towels provided, hung on two heated towel rails. Towels are refreshed continuously. A fruit platter is in the room, and there is a turn-down treat every night (tasted like fudge). An iPod player is next to the bed, and one can request iPods to listen to.
From the terrace and pool area one looks onto the side of Groenberg, and below is the most lucious looking field, on which cows graze. Angelo laughed when he told me that they are the eco-friendly “lawnmowers” at Doolhof. A paddock with ex-racehorses is adjacent to the field.
The Room Directory is one of the most comprehensive and best presented that I have seen, bound in a neat brown leather cover, and detailing information about the wine estate (380 ha, Kromme River runs through it, located between Groenberg, Limietberg and Sneeukop), suggestions for day trips, a description of the public areas in the house, the location of the TV lounge in the upstairs loft (there is no TV in the bedrooms, strange for 5-star), and the location of the Spa Room (which I had read about, but was not proactively informed about), the Breakfast serving time, that light lunch and snacks are available, that a complimentary high tea is served in the afternoons (a combination of cake, fresh fruit and a savoury item), and the invitation to enjoy canapes and a glass of Pierre Jourdan sparkling wine before dinner with the other guests (quite colonial in its nature, but a good way to meet the other guests, as one is separated when dining). Three bar fridges stock beverages in various sections of the guest house, and are complimentary to guests. The bar fridges are a great idea, as mini bar fridges in rooms are noisy. The Doolhof winetasting is complimentary to the guests of Grand Dédale.
Breakfast is served on the terrace, and is a generous buffet of different cereals (I loved the Chef’s mix of crunchy and healthy muesli ingredients), fresh fruit as well as a fruit salad (one morning I was intrigued to see a bowl with an unknown white fruit, which was made by the Chef from the inside peel of a watermelon) and different yoghurt flavours. Cold breakfast treats are offered, and on one of the mornings it was salmon and créme fraîche served on rosti. Cold meats and cheeses are available, as are home-made jams and breads. A treat was that John organised frothy cappucinos for me each morning, and kept the ice water supply coming. A beautiful vase with a rose and a bougainvillea was on each table. At breakfast one is shown the dinner menu for that day, and one can say if one does not eat a particular ingredient. I saw the menu changed for one dinner due to my couscous feedback, which reflects great flexibility. There are no choices on the menu, and therefore the kitchen checks proactively on its guests’ tastes.
Dinner is served on the terrace, with the most wonderful view onto the greenery below. John and Angelo are in attendance. Canapés are served with the glass of bubbly. Heila Basson is the Chef, and Angelo calls her a ‘boeremeisie’. She previously worked at Grootbos and at Seasons at Diemersfontein. She has been at the Taj, to train in their kitchen, and will soon join Luke Dale-Roberts at The Test Kitchen for a short session, before he comes to Grand Dédale to cater for a wedding with Chef Heila on the wine estate. The table is beautifully set, with a silver underplate, professional folding of the serviette, and three sets of Italian Pinti cutlery, to prevent any stretching across clients. The butterdish and salt and pepper containers are all in silver, making the woven bread basket out of place. However, its content was wonderful, being bread rolls with different toppings. I love poppy seed rolls, and was amazed to find these in Wellington, of all places! An amuse bouche is served, prior to the three course meal. On the first night it was a spicy bobotie, served with mango chutney. The bobotie was unusual, made from diced rather than minced meat, and with an unusual taste, colourfully presented. The starter was a beef sirloin carpaccio served with feta crumble and a sesame dressing, adding a sweet taste. The main course was Norwegian salmon served with sweet and sour balsamic beetroot, mash, a vodka créme fraîche sauce, and roasted pumpkin seeds, creating a good colour contrast on the plate. I found the pumpkin seeds too hard relative to the soft textures of all the other ingredients. Dessert was a nougat terrine with berries, moreish, and chewy in texture. On the second day the amuse bouche was a courgette and brie cappuccino, served in a little coffee cup, an unusual combination and very tasty. The oregano potato gnocchi starter served with a wild mushroom and gruyere sauce was absolutely delicious, but did not have any contrast in colour. We were spoilt with a second starter when we discussed mozzarella, and Angelo proudly allowed all the dinner guests a taste of Wellington’s Buffalo Ridge mozzarella, in the form of a small Caprese salad. The main course was lamb rump, served a little too rare and with too much fat. The dessert was a pineapple tarte tatin served with homemade milktart ice cream, an unusual combination, but was delicious. Dinner costs R335, for a three course meal, but includes an amuse bouche and a cheese platter as well, actually making it a generous 5-course meal. One must book to eat dinner at Grand Dédale if one is not staying over.
The winelist offers Pierre Jourdan for R170 as a Cap Classique, and Champagnes offered are Dom Grossard and Brugnon Brut. Wine by the glass is from Doolhof and costs R40, but is not mentioned on the winelist. It is poured at the table from a bottle (I ordered a glass of Doolhof Shiraz 2007) in a silver basket. The Doolhof wines are good value: Unoaked Chardonnay R 90; Oaked Chardonnay R 154; Cape Robin Rosé R 63; Merlot, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon R116. In the Legends of Labyrinth range, Dark Lady pinotage and Lady in Red each cost R117 and The Minotaur R250. Wellington wines offered are Nabygelegen’s Lady Anna (R120), its Chenin Blanc (R130) and Snow Mountain Pinot Noir (R235). Diemersfontein Carpe Diem Viognier and Chenin Blanc cost R190. Each wine is described, and the vintage specified.
There is little to suggest to improve at Grand Dédale: a desk lamp on the desk/make-up area; training staff to not move one’s belongings from a chair or a bed (this is a common problem in accommodation establishments and is an irritation); allowing one to park outside the house; any means of improving cellphone reception would be very welcome, and the limited reception should be mentioned in correspondence (I am on 24/7 duty for my business, even when away for a weekend, and I had not made arrangements to divert the company phone line to a colleague’s cellphone, until I arrived and realised the impact of the reception problem on my business); addressing the blocking of outgoing e-mails by the server (incoming e-mails arrived safely), which problem was solved by downloading e-mails at The Stone Kitchen/Dunstone winery, which has a free wireless service which works easily and perfectly, but is only open until 16h00; a TV in each room; instructions on how to switch off the lights in the various sections of the bedroom; a blind for the bathroom window, so that one is not woken up by the light coming through in the morning; a warning to guests that there is 4 km of dirt road, the first part being very bumpy, and therefore not suitable to drive for all motor vehicles. What I did request while I was there was attended to immediately by Angelo.
It is not inexpensive to stay at Grand Dédale Country House, but I was lucky to benefit from a hospitality discount. The accommodation cost includes a full breakfast, all drinks from the guest bars, a small high tea, canapés before dinner and a glass of Pierre Jourdan. If one stays for two nights, dinner is free of charge on one of the two nights, as is a bottle of Doolhof wine. One has little choice to eat out in Wellington, so one is almost ‘forced’ to eat there, but it is an absolute pleasure to do so, to not have to drive on the gravel road, or to drive all the way to Diemersfontein, or even to Paarl, to find a relatively acceptable restaurant. If I can manage to leave the laptop and cellphone at home, I would be back for a next visit, to have a proper break!
Grand Dédale Country House, Doolhof Wine Estate, Bovlei Road, Wellington. Tel (021) 873-4089. www.granddedale.com
Chris von Ulmenstein, WhaleCottage: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage