The Sweet Service Award goes to New Media Publishing and its Eat Out management team for doing such a good job in changing its Restaurant Awards venue 48 hours before the event (one could ask why the fly problem at Mistico Equestrian Centre was not identified in the first place!), most of the attendees being happy to not drive out to Paarl! Commendable is the questionnaire emailed last night, with 33 questions evaluating every aspect of the venue, shuttle service, (more…)Tweet
Entries tagged with “Paarl”.
Friday 20th November 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Wednesday 18th November 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Earlier this year I was shocked to see that the La Motte Culinary Director (and wife of its red wine maker Edmund Terblanche) as well as Kokkedoor judge Hetta van Deventer had reviewed De Warenmarkt for Eat Out. Now it appears from the new Eat Out 2016 magazine that she reviewed a number of Franschhoek and other Boland restaurants (many on wine farms too) that are in direct competition with Pierneef à la Motte restaurant!
At the time that I saw the De Warenmarkt review by Van Deventer I (more…)Tweet
Friday 13th November 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
On Sunday the eagerly awaited Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Restaurant Awards 2015 winners will be announced at its Gala Lunch, to be held at new event venue SunExhibits Centre at GrandWest. As is our tradition, we attempt a prediction of the Eat Out Top 10 winners as well as comment on the other awards to be presented (more…)Tweet
Thursday 12th November 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
SA Tourism must be delighted that Telegraph Travel is doing its marketing at no charge! What better publicity than to get an article with ’25 reasons to visit South Africa right now’ written for free!
Obviously the benefit of the weak Rand relative to the pound sterling (more…)Tweet
Monday 12th October 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
In the past all chefs invited to cook were seen to be sure winners, When this became so predictable, half the chefs cooking were awarded Top 10 status, while the other half were Top 20 Finalists who did not make it to Top 10. This year Eat Out has (more…)Tweet
Sunday 27th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Not to be confused with a private home in which one can drink Brandy, the new ‘Brandy Homes‘ are in fact Brandy producers in the Cape Winelands, the Karoo, and Northern Cape, which have been designed to make its visitors ‘sit back, relax, and learn all there is to know about Brandy‘. The ‘Brandy Homes‘ are an initiative created by the South African Brandy Foundation, allowing Brandy lovers (more…)Tweet
Thursday 23rd July 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
One cannot get more notorious than being featured in Noseweek (July 2015 issue), and to have a Facebook group created about one’s business. Such an ‘honour’ has been bestowed upon Daniel Waldis, owner of Le Chocolatier, who has operated in Franschhoek, now in Stellenbosch, and with a factory in Paarl. His claims on the Le Chocolatier chocolate slab range have been misleading, and even life-threatening to diabetics!Tweet
Saturday 2nd May 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
If it depends on the Cape weather, it is hardly winter yet. However, the first restaurants are sending out their Winter Specials information, summarised below. The list is updated continuously. We welcome information about new specials:
* Umi in Camps Bay: 2 course set menu R155, 3 courses R195. Beef shortrib R105, beef sirloin R95, fish & fries R85, Tataki Beef R55, Beef sliders R55, Baby squid R45. Half price sushi. Cocktails R40 Tel (021) 437-1802 (added 1/5/15)
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : 2 courses R150, 3 courses R190. Sirloin R90, Rump R90, Lamb cutlets R120, Seafood platter R160, Sushi platter R130, Veal schnitzel R110, Oxtail R110, prawn platter R130, chicken liver pasta R80, and chicken curry R90 . Half price sushi (selected items) all day. Cocktails R35. Daily. Tel (021) 439-9027 (added 1/5/15)Tweet
Wednesday 25th March 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
* KWV has launched its first ever ‘Finish Great‘ consumer advertising campaign, reflecting the wine and spirits company’s proud heritage and product innovation it has embodied since 1918. The campaign has been launched with the flighting of its first-ever TV commercial, representing both its range of wines and its brandies. Ad agency Saatchi & Saatchi Brandrock motivated its campaign as follows: ‘This is a tribute to the great legacy of KWV, but also demonstrates that by standing on the shoulders of giants, we are inspired to aim higher, to reach even greater heights and inevitably ‘Finish Great’. The campaign idea was based on a core insight that through persistence, character is revealed and in everything we do, we strive to finish great. The heart of KWV is Proud Pioneers brought to life through the spirit of: respecting tradition while challenging convention and through persistence character is revealed. We are telling this story through the campaign theme of ‘On the shoulders of giants’’. Giants have stature, they are larger than life and undeniably impressive. We revere them and in South Africa, KWV is a giant, it’s a brand that has a 97 year-old history and credible credentials to support such a bold statement. The story line follows an affirmation to the giants who enable us to Finish Great. We are bringing to life this story with a 360 degree approach, which we will aim to further build on the ‘Giants’ theme through a product-centric print and fully integrated user generated social and digital campaign’. The TV ad will be (more…)Tweet
Sunday 25th January 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Even though we are halfway through the summer season, new restaurants continue to open, and more are planned before summer ends. This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Michael Townsend (who owns the Harbour House emporium, with La Parada, Lucky Fish, and Harbour House restaurants) has opened Tiger’s Milk in Muizenberg (photograph). The Lucky Fish on Long Street will be transformed into Tiger’s Milk.
* Kokkedoor judge and Chef Nic van Wyk and Roxy Laker have opened bistro 13 at Stellenbosch Vineyards (Welmoed)
* Idiom Wines is said to be opening a restaurant.
* The Butcher Shop & Grill has opened next to Sotano in Mouille Point. (more…)Tweet