Franschhoek is celebrating the best of its white wines, Rosés, and MCCs at Franschhoek Summer Wines, to be held at Leopard’s Leap Family Vineyards tomorrow (Saturday 6 February) from 12h00 – 17h00. (more…)Tweet
Entries tagged with “MCC”.
Friday 5th February 2016 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Monday 11th January 2016 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
On Friday evening I had the pleasure of eating my first meal prepared by a Michelin star restaurant chef. Chef Roger Jones of The Harrow at Little Bedwyn, with a Michelin star earned every year in the past ten years, prepared a six-course meal at (more…)Tweet
Wednesday 30th September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Spier has announced the launch of its brand new Secret Sparkling 2015, made by winemaker Jacques Erasmus.
The new Chardonnay Pinor Noir MCC costs R65, and is available from the Spier wine (more…)Tweet
Thursday 3rd September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
* Good news from ratings agency Moody’s is that our country is unlikely to go into recession this year, and is not likely to be downgraded until the end of 2016! It did warn however that our economy is slowed down by a number of factors, and that our country would average 2% growth in the same period.
*. The six Finalists in the WORLD CLASS Bartender of the Year (more…)Tweet
Standard Bank Chenin Blanc Top 10 Challenge 2015: Chenin Blanc has ‘come of age’, a ‘national treasure’!
Saturday 29th August 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Yesterday the second Standard Bank Chenin Blanc Top 10 Challenge was held at the Cape Grace, with the Top 10 Chenin Blancs selected out of a total of 145 wines entered. The banner in the pre-lunch venue summarized the stature of Chenin Blanc, with the pay-off line ‘A South African National Treasure‘!
Canapés of pastry cases with salmon and hollandaise sauce were served with Sparklehorse Chenin Blanc MCC made by Ken Forrester Wines. Ken Forrester is the Chairman of the (more…)Tweet
Tuesday 11th August 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
* Cape Wine 2015 has been billed as a ‘revelatory‘ event, and will be a ‘multi-media look at the South African wine industry today’. The showcase of our country’s wine industry, to be held at the Cape Town International Convention Centre from 15 – 17 September, Cape Wine 2015 will also host a series of workshops and events, making it the largest wine show ever hosted in the Southern Hemisphere. (received via media release from De Kock Communications)
* After a number of delays, Air China is to commence its direct flights between Beijing (more…)Tweet
Thursday 23rd April 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Yesterday 30 or so writers, mostly from Cape Town, dedicated a full 10 hour day to travel to Graham Beck Wines in Robertson, to celebrate its 25 year Silver Jubilee with a vertical tasting of more than 25 Cap Classiques and base wines which go into the making of the Graham Beck range of MCCs. The event was also a salute to Pieter ‘Bubbles’ Ferreira, in having worked at Graham Beck for 25 years already.
Always organised, PR consultant Nicolette Waterford had organised a Le Quartier Français snack pack with water and juice for us for the two-hour bus trip. We arrived to a misty day in Robertson, but the day became sunny and warm. We were welcomed by the Graham Beck staff, and by Pieter with his trademark bubbly shirt in particular, and it felt a lot like Pieter’s ‘birthday’ party (he did recently celebrate a special milestone birthday). (more…)Tweet
Tuesday 24th March 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
DnA Event Management has announced that it is calling for entries for the inaugural The Sommelier Selection, which will become a list of wines which will receive the stamp of approval of sommelier judges who serve on the committee of the South African Sommelier Association, the first local wine competition judged by a panel of sommeliers, and aimed at assisting the ‘everyday wine drinker’ in selecting good and affordable wines.
Not only wines in categories of House Wine under R110 a bottle (White, Red, Rosé, ‘Bubbles‘, ‘Sweets‘); Whites (Fresh/Crunchy, Elegant/Classy, Full/Rich, Luscious/Aromatic); Reds (Fresh/Juicy, Elegant/Classy, Voluptuous/Rich); Pinks (Rosés, Blanc de Noirs); ‘Fizzys/Bubbles‘ (MCC Non Vintage, MCC Vintage, MCC Rosé, MCC (more…)Tweet
Friday 27th February 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
* The South African Brandy Foundation has welcomed Finance Minister Nene’s indication that excise duty on brandies are to be reviewed, during his budget speech on Wednesday. An excise duty increase of 8,5% was announced by Minister Nene for brandy. (received via media release from Manley Communications)
* The Spur Corporation is planning to open 21 new restaurants in our country for its brands, as well as five more in Africa. The company said that continued loadshedding could affect its turnover.Tweet
Saturday 7th February 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Franschhoek Vignerons is hosting Franschhoek Summer Wines today, from 12h00 – 17h00, at Leopard’s Leap.
The following wine estates will present white, Rosé, and MCC wines to taste: Anthonij Rupert Wines – L’Ormarins Brut Classique & Cape of Good Hope Altima Sauvignon Blanc 2014; Bellingham Wines – Bellingham Old Orchard Chenin Blanc 2013; Boschendal wines – Sauvignon Blanc 1685. Four Paws Wines – Four Paws Sauvignon Blanc (more…)Tweet