Entries tagged with “La Mouette”.
Did you find what you wanted?
Sunday 11th May 2014 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
The Winter 2014 specials for more than 90 Cape Town and Winelands restaurants follow below, and are updated continuously. We welcome information about new specials, and the feedback about your meals at these restaurants:
* Umi in Camps Bay: 3 course set menu R260, 5 courses R360, both include a shared bottle of Warwick First Lady. Order 3 meals off a la carte menu, get the 4th free. Slow cooked shortrib R110, Karan beef sirloin R95, Japanese beer marinated Karan beef fillet R120, pork belly R90, warm salmon and black bean R120, and fish & fries R85. Tel (021) 437-1802 (added 10/5/14)
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : Order 3 meals and get 4th (cheapest) free; Sirloin R89, Rump R89, Lamb cutlets R99, Seafood platter R149, Sushi platter R129, Crayfish tails R169, Veal schnitzel R95, Soup of day R40, Prawn platter R139, Oxtail R110, and Osso Buco R89. Half price sushi (selected items) all day. Daily. Tel (021) 439-9027 (updated 10/5/14)
* 5 Rooms, Alphen Boutique Hotel: 2 courses R170; 2 courses with bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R220; 3 courses R 220; 3 courses plus bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R 270. Sirloin R95, Baby chicken R95, Braised oxtail R110, Seafood bouillabaisse R135, Grilled Prawn R99, Slow braised lamb shank R115. Tel (021) 795-6313 (updated 10/5/14)
* Zenzero, Camps Bay: 2 courses R160; 2 courses with bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R210; 3 courses (more…)
Sunday 6th April 2014 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
For the seventh year ‘Taste of Cape Town’ is delighting Capetonians with a feast of delectable food, excellent wines, talks and demonstrations about food and beverages, as well as entertainment, held at the Green Point Cricket Club near the Cape Town Stadium until today.
‘Taste of Cape Town’ has had incredible luck with the weather over the years, and temperatures have been climbing since opening day on Thursday, touching on 30ºC yesterday afternoon, and forecast to exceed this temperature today. Other than the Lindt stand, the ‘Taste of Cape Town’ stands do not have airconditioning, but attendees sought shade on the cricket ground to eat and drink their purchases. Outside each food stand a stand-up table allows one to eat, and to meet other ‘Taste of Cape Town’ attendees and obtain tips from them as to what to try at other stands on the route. The chefs have a challenging time preparing hundreds of portions of three dishes each, with limited space and cooking facilities. There was barely any waiting time at any of the stands, once one had ordered. Payment is in terms of ‘scoins’, vouchers valued at R5 each, available to buy in booklets of 20 at R100. The cost of each dish is priced in scoins, none costing more than 8 scoins (R40). The prices have not been increased in the past six (more…)
Sunday 30th March 2014 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Yesterday I was invited to attend the judging of the Cape Finals of Season 3 of Ultimate Braai Master held in the parking area of The Lookout at the V&A Waterfront. Not only was it a good way to catch up with a number of chefs who judged the Cape Finals, but it was also an opportunity to meet Cooked in Africa Films producer Justin Bonello.
Justin chatted to blogger Thuli Gogela of Mzansi Style Cuisine Blog (she appeared in the Bloggers episode of season 2 of MasterChef SA) and I as the judging came to an end at the Finals. One sensed his overriding passion for food, which has grown into TV production, with 21 productions to date, including two previous Ultimate Braai Master seasons, two seasons of Charly’s Cake Angels, as well as ‘Seasons at Terroir‘, which was launched last week and focuses on Chef Michael Broughton, and his restaurant Terroir at Kleine Zalze. Justin denied that Terroir not making the Top 20 Eat Out restaurant list last November was a blow to their production, saying that Chef Michael’s food is beyond Top 10 competitions, clearly a fan of the chef’s food. He is fascinated by the revolution of growing one’s own vegetables and herbs, and proudly showed me a photograph of his vegetable garden at home, out Hout Bay way, which will become the subject of a TV series ‘Green Time’ at the end of 2015, with seven pilot projects of vegetable gardening at schools being developed. (more…)
Saturday 23rd November 2013 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
I have not been a great fan of the forced R5 addition to one’s restaurant bill without permission in Streetsmart restaurants, but after attending the presentation of monies to support the good community work for street children it is funding, and hearing what a difference the money makes to the less fortunate at a function held at The Salesian Institute on Thursday evening, my perception about Streetsmart has changed completely.
Established in 2005 by tour operator Margi Biggs as a means of helping street children, and now chaired by committee junkie Nils Heckscher (he has been or currently serves on the board of FEDHASA Cape, Cape Town Tourism, the former Cape Town Routes Unlimited, and Tourism Marketing of South Africa), Streetsmart generated just over R900000 in the past year, and a total of R7 million since its establishment. R5 is added to the restaurant bill per table, irrespective of the number of patrons seated at the table. This money is transferred to Streetsmart once a month. Streetsmart is also collected in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and in India.
Heckscher suffers badly from being in the shadow of his very well-known (more…)
Saturday 3rd August 2013 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
More restaurants in the Western Cape than in any other province entered and received a Diners Club International Winelist Award 2013. At the 30th Awards function held for the Western Cape at the Vineyard Hotel on Wednesday, MasterChef SA Judge and Tsogo Sun Chef Benny Masekwameng announced the 38 winners in the Diamond, 30 in the Platinum, 26 in the Gold, and 2 in the Silver Award categories, 96 awards in total.
Veteran wine critic Dave Hughes chaired the judging panel, which included fledgling judge Chef Benny, restaurant guide editor JP Rossouw, wine judges Christine Rudman and Fiona McDonald, Winestyle.biz owner Nikki Dumas, and the Cape Wine Academy head Marilyn Cooper. He said that it was fitting that the Awards ceremony was held at The Vineyard hotel, the Newlands area having been the first in Cape Town in which grapes were grown, but soon (more…)
Wednesday 24th July 2013 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Episode 13 of MasterChef SA last night marked the halfway mark for the reality TV cooking show, and focused on the use of Dairy. Many panna cotta dishes were made for the Dairy Challenge, which panned out for some, and not so for others.
The episode began with the Finalists discovering that all their dairy products had been removed from the fridge in their house, and they reacted grumpily to not being able to have coffee to wake up with. Herman Cloete said their mood was ‘scratchy‘. When they arrived at the MasterChef kitchen, Chef Andrew Atkinson cheekily asked why they looked as if they did not have a good start to the day, knowing full well what had happened at the house. It was meant to introduce the Invention Test, to test the Finalists’ creativity with the products most commonly found in households, being dairy. The Pantry had been stocked with milk, cream, cheese, and yoghurts, and the Finalists were challenged to make any dish with dairy, be it a starter or dessert, as long as they got the basics right. They were given 10 minutes to grab their products in the Pantry, and 60 minutes to prepare their dish. (more…)
Thursday 18th July 2013 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Last night’s episode 12 kept viewers glued to the screen, as Finalists Sanet Labuschagne, Tiron Eloff, and Jason Steel had to replicate La Mouette Chef Henry Vigar’s dish. Karen Els enjoyed her special MasterClass at The Creamery.
Chef Henry Vigar of La Mouette was the ‘top Cape Town chef‘ viewers were told would be present in the episode, and whose dish they had to replicate. When Chef Pete Goffe-Wood introduced the chef as being a good friend, that it is his favourite restaurant, and that the chef is from the UK and has a South African wife, and has worked at top UK restaurants, we could not help but think that it was Chef Luke Dale-Roberts from The Test Kitchen and the Pot Luck Club, as the description could have equally applied to him. As Chef Henry has not made the Eat Out Top 20 list since he opened in Cape Town three years ago, it was a surprise that M-Net overstated his standing, as he is very low key on the Cape Town restaurant scene. Kamini Pather said that the restaurant is best known for its six course tasting menu. La Mouette was a favourite of ours when it opened, but we have not been for a long time, due to poor service, even from the owners. Chef Henry’s dish was Salt and pepper prawns, chorizo popcorn, tamarind sauce, and shaved radish on sweetcorn purée. The task was to replicate Chef Henry’s dish exactly and to make four exact portions of it. (more…)
Sunday 7th April 2013 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
The Autumn and Winter 2013 specials for Cape Town and Winelands restaurants follow below, and are updated continuously. We welcome information about new specials, and feedback about your meals at these restaurants:
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : Sirloin and chips R89, Lamb shank lasagne R99, Seafood platter R149, Sushi platter R129, Crayfish tails R169, Chicken schnitzel R85, Minestrone R65, Chicken liver pasta R80, Prawn platter R119. Half price sushi all day. Daily. Tel (021) 439-9027 (updated 2/9)
* Theo’s on Beach Road, Mouille Point: Oysters R8 each, Seafood soup R55, Prawn special R110, Linefish and prawn combo R99, Linefish and calamari R99, Sole and Calamari R99, Rump or sirloin R99, Spare Ribs R99, Rump Espetada R99, 250g Lobster and prawn platter R139; Seafood platter R125. Tel (021) 439-3494 (updated 12/6)
* Sevruga in the V&A Waterfront: 2 course lunch R125, 3 courses R165, 4 courses R195; half price sushi and dim sum Monday – Saturday 12h00 – 18h00; 25 % off sushi and (more…)
Sunday 3rd February 2013 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
The list of Valentine’s Day specials will be updated as we receive new information:
* Café Chic, Gardens: 5 courses R290. Tel (021) 465-7218
* Richard’s Supper Stage, Sea Point: Glass of sparkling wine, Show, 4-course buffet dinner and a rose. R400 Tel 076 1444 809
* Richard’s Bistro, Sea Point: 3-course lunch with glass of sparkling wine R150. Tel 076 1444 809.
* Five Flies: 3 course menu plus glass of bubbly plus glass of wine R360 Tel (021) 424-4442
* Diemersdal Farm Eatery: 8 tapas dishes plus bottle of Diemersdal Rosé R250. Tel 079 917 2797
* De Grendel Restaurant: 4-courses R550 excluding wine, and R650 with wine pairing. Includes a complimentary bottle of De Grendel Rosé Tel (021) 558-7035
* Pepper Club on the Beach, Camps Bay: Glass of sparkling wine, and 4 course dinner R405. Tel (021) 438-3174
* Sinatra’s, Pepper Club Hotel: Glass of sparkling wine and 3 course dinner plus movie R375. Tel ()21) 812-8888
* Five Flies: glass of sparkling wine, wine with main course and 3 courses R 360. Tel (021) 424-4442
* La Mouette: 4 courses R350/R550 with wine. Tel (021) 433-0856
* Signal, Cape Grace: ‘Feast’ R385. Tel (021) 410-7099
* Bay Hotel, Camps Bay: 4 course dinner and live music R 395. Tel (021) 430-4444
* Bardelli’s: 3 course meal and glass of bubbly R160. Tel (021) 423-1502 and (021) 683-1423.
* 5Rooms, The Alphen hotel: 3 courses R295. Tel (021) 795-6300
* Orphanage: 3 courses of ‘rude food’, and a ‘love potion‘ R250. 21+ year olds only. Tel (021) 424-2004
* Reuben’s: 5 course dinner R320 Tel (021) 876-3772
* Noble Hill, R45: Picnic basket to share for lunch, with complimentary bottle of Mourvèdre Rosé R295. Free pink strawberry cake for main course lunch ordered. Pairing of pink salmon blinis and Blanc de Blancs R265 for two. Tel (021) 874-3844.
* Grande Provence: 4 courses with extras plus a glass of wine on arrival R495 Tel (021) 876-8600
* The Franschhoek Kitchen, Holden Manz: Glass of Colmant MCC on arrival, 3 courses R 350. Tel (021) 876-2729
* The KItchen at Maison: 4 course dinner R425. Tel (021) 876-2116.
* Waterkloof: 6 courses R 500 without wine pairing and R650 with wine pairing. Tel (021) 858-1491
* Hartenberg: Picnic plus glass of Villiera Brut Rosé and a bottle of wine R 190. Tel (021) 865-2541
* Cuvée, Simonsig: 6 course dinner paired with wines R 385. Tel ()21) 888-4952
* Wild Peacock Emporium: 3 course dinner paired with L’Avenir wines R320. Tel (021) 887-7585
* Wahnfried: classic Merchant Ivory love story ‘A Room with a View’ – cost R0, including a glass of MCC.
Tel 072 601 1616
* Creation: 7-course tapas menu, each paired with a Creation wine R100. 11h30 – 19h00. Tel (028) 212-1107
* Cornutti: 3 courses R320. Tel (044) 533-1277
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter;@WhaleCottage
Sunday 9th December 2012 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
* Il Cappero, Camps Bay: 6-course dinner and glass of Prosecco R350. Tel (021) 438-7074
* Planet Restaurant, Mount Nelson Hotel : 5-course menu R910. Tel (021) 483-1000
* Oasis Bistro, Mount Nelson Hotel: Buffet R650. Tel (021) 483-1000
* Tobago’s, Raddison Blu: 3-course R450. Tel (021) 441-3000
* The Franschhoek Kitchen, Holden Manz, Franschhoek: 3 courses R375. Tel (021) 876-2729
Christmas Day lunch
* The Square Restaurant, Vineyard Hotel: 3-course lunch R 415. Tel (021) 657-4500
* Azure Restaurant, Twelve Apostles Hotel: Buffet lunch, party hats, gift, crackers R945. Tel (021) 437-9052 (sold out)
* The Pavilion at The Marine, Marine Hotel, Hermanus: welcome drink, canapés, Christmas lunch, petit fours R 595. Tel (028) 313-1000
* Il Cappero, Camps Bay: 6-course lunch with glass of Prosecco R350 Tel (021) 438-7074
* Planet Restaurant, Mount Nelson hotel: 5-course lunch R 950. Tel (021) 483-1000
* Ballroom, Mount Nelson hotel: Buffet R700. Tel (021) 483-1000
* 1800° Restaurant, Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, Green Point: Christmas Lunch Buffet R320. Tel (021) 430-0506.
* Tobago’s, Radisson Blu: Buffet R595. Tel (021) 441-3000
* Le Franschhoek hotel, Franschhoek: Buffet R 395. Tel (021) 876-8900
* Le Coq Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Franschhoek: 3 courses R240. Tel (021) 876-4404
* The Franschhoek Kitchen, Holden Manz, Franschhoek: 3 courses R375. Tel ()21) 876-2729
New Year’s Eve
* Café Chic: 6-course dinner R485. Tel (021) 465-7218
* Il Cappero, Camps Bay: 8-course dinner and glass of Prosecco R 450. Tel (021) 438-7074
* Blues, Camps Bay: 4-course dinner, DJ, and unlimited bubbly R1700 Tel (021) 438-2040
* Zenzero, Camps Bay: 3-course dinner and welcome drink R 1000. Tel (021) 438-0007
* Hussar Grill, Camps Bay: 4-courses R475. Tel (021) 438-0151
* Azure at Twelve Apostles Hotel, Camps Bay: Buffet and live music R 1895. Tel ()21) 437-9000
* The Conservatory at The Cellars-Hohenhort, R750. Tel (021) 794-2137
* Constantia Uitsig: 5-course dinner R 850. Tel (021) 794-4480
* Five Flies: 4-course menu, masked ball, and sparkling wine R600. Tel (021) 424-4442
* The Greenhouse, Cellars-Hohenhort, Constantia: 9-course dinner R950, or R1250 with wine. Tel (021) 794-2137
* La Colombe, Constantia: 5-course dinner, DJ, sparkling wine at midnight R1600. Tel (021) 794-2390
* La Mouette, Sea Point: 5-course meal and glass of sparkling wine R795. Tel (021) 433-0856
* 1800° Restaurant, Green Point: 6-course dinner, and entrance to the VIP Sky Bar R1200. Tel (021) 430-0506
* Myoga, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 7-course meal at R850. Tel (021) 657-4545
* Nobu, One&Only Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: 8-course dinner and band R2250. Tel (021) 431-5222
* Orinoco: 3-course dinner, ‘Sixties’ theme, DJ, welcome cocktail, canapés, glass of sparkling wine R600. Tel (021) 418-4544
* Reuben’s at One&Only Cape Town: 5-course dinner and band R1750. Tel (021) 431-5222
* The Roundhouse, Camps Bay: 3-course dinner, live music and DJ, sparkling wine R1650. Tel (021) 438-4347
* Salt Restaurant, Ambassador Hotel: 8-course tasting menu, glass of sparkling wine, band R995. Tel (021) 439-7258
* Savoy Cabbage: Canapés, Christmas cocktail, gala dinner R995. Tel (021) 424-2626
* Signal, Cape Grace hotel, V&A Waterfront: 4-course dinnerR1950. Tel (021) 410-7100
* The Table Bay Hotel, V&A Waterfront: cocktail reception, Buffet dinner, sparkling wine R2100. Tel (021) 406-5000
* Tjing Tjing Bar, Dear Me: entrance fee, food, and party R300. Tel (021) 422-4920
* The Boat House, Scarborough: 5-course dinner and sparkling wine R980. Transfer R500 pp. Tel 083 305 8533
* Massimo’s, Hout Bay: Welcome drink, 4 course dinner R425. Tel (021) 790-5645
* GOLD: Cocktail on arrival, drumming, live music, ‘African Feast’, bubbly R1100. Tel (021) 421-4653
* Makaron, Majeka House, Stellenbosch: 4-course dinner R625. Tel (021) 880-1549
* Moyo, Spier, Stellenbosch: Welcome drink, 3-course meal, R495. Tel (021) 809-1133
* Restaurant at Clos Malverne, Stellenbosch: 8-course food and wine pairing R468. Tel (021) 865-2022
* Tokara, Stellenbosch: 8-course dinner R950. Tel (021) 885-2550
* Eat @ Simonsig, Paarl: Live band, 3-courses, bubbly at midnight R275. Tel (021) 863-3845.
* The Restaurant at Grande Provence, Franschhoek: Welcome drink and midnight glass of sparkling wine as well as dancing, 7-course dinner R790. Tel (021) 876-8600
* The Kitchen, Maison, Franschhoek: 8 courses, each paired with a Maison Estate wine, R950. Tel (021) 876-2116.
* Reuben’s, Franschhoek: 6-course dinner R1200. Tel (021) 876-3772
* Le Coq Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Franschhoek: 3 courses and a glass of sparkling wine R280. Tel (021) 876-4404
* The Restaurant at Waterkloof, Somerset West: 6-course meal R650, or R825 with wine. Tel (021) 858-1292
* The Pavilion at The Marine, Marine Hotel, Hermanus: Canapés, welcome drink, 6-course menu, R1150. Tel (028) 313-1000
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage