Entries tagged with “Harbour House”.
Did you find what you wanted?
Tuesday 3rd November 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
New restaurant openings continue, many working behind the scenes, and not revealing information about their new establishments prior to opening. We update information about newly opened and closed restaurants continuously.
* Giulio’s Café has opened where My Basaar was located (photograph).
* My Sugar has opened in Sea Point.
* Chef Julia Hattingh has opened her own restaurant Reverie Social Table in Observatory. (more…)
Monday 5th October 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
A spate of new restaurant openings is coinciding with the start of the Summer season. Restaurateur Michael Townsend of the Harbour House Group continues unabated in opening new restaurants, achieving a total of 18 or more by December! We update information about newly opened and closed restaurants continuously.
Restaurant Openings (more…)
Wednesday 23rd September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
There must be a special name for Michael Townsend, a restaupreneur, opening one restaurant after the other in Cape Town! Today he has announced the opening within the next four months of four Easy Tiger outlets in Cape Town.
Townsend is the owner of the Harbour House Group, with a Harbour House in Kalk (more…)
Tuesday 1st September 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
The rate of new and planned restaurant openings seems slower than at the beginning of previous summer seasons. Restaurateur Michael Townsend of the Harbour House Group continues unabated in opening new restaurants. Exciting news for Franschhoek is the ownership change today of Le Quartier Français by the Leeu Collection! Today’s date of 1 September appears a number of times below! We update information about newly opened and closed restaurants continuously.
* Vicky Cristina’s tapas bar y restaurante espanol has opened in Camps Bay (photograph).
* De Warenmarkt has opened in Stellenbosch, a mix of market, deli, bar, and pop-up restaurant
* Open Door has opened at Constantia Uitsig, the third restaurant to be opened by Neil Grant and his business (more…)
Monday 3rd August 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Winter is almost over, and we are delighted to report that few restaurants have closed down in the past few cold months. By the same token, few new restaurants have opened. Heartbreaking was the fire which closed down The Stack one week after it opened last month in Leinster Hall in Gardens. We update information about newly opened and closed restaurants continuously.
* De Warenmarkt has opened in Stellenbosch, a mix of market, deli, bar, and pop-up restaurant (photograph) (more…)
Tuesday 21st July 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Two weeks ago Tiger’s Milk Kitchen & Bar opened on Long Street, previously a Lucky Fish, belonging to the Harbour House Group. The decor is fun and funky, with many similarities to its ‘brother’ restaurant in Muizenberg, which offers ‘dude food’ to surfers.
The decor was designed by the internal Harbour House Group design team, the La Parada bull’s head at the counter, the magazine page ‘wallpaper’, the crystal whisky decanters as a light feature, and the wooden tables and chairs all being similar to the decor design in Muizenberg.
Unique is the beer dispensing taps, standing on the bar counter, and looking like a steam punk engine! Each brand is identified, including a Tiger’s Milk craft beer. Other brands stocked are CBC, Jack Black, and Part Wolf. James Dean is a ‘pin up’, wearing a Tiger’s Milk T-shirt in the (more…)
Sunday 7th June 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
I did a quick visit to Hermanus yesterday, and at a stop at Rivendell Restaurant, between Bot River and Hermanus, I was told that Chef Thomas Sinn was coming back from his overseas holiday especially to participate in a super-sounding feast, for which he is one of eight chefs cooking on Monday evening. The staff brought a copy of the programme, and I could not believe what the organisers have planned for the 11-day Festival, ‘A Celebration of South African Arts’ its 80-page Festival brochure proudly proclaims!
The programme consists of different themes: (more…)
Monday 13th April 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Muizenberg is a surfers’ paradise in Cape Town, and local surfers have found a new home once out of the ocean at Tiger’s Milk on the beachfront. Tiger’s Milk Restaurant & Bar is a new addition to the restaurant collection of Michael Townsend, who already own Harbour House in Kalk Bay and in the V&A Waterfront, La Parada in Kalk Bay and on Bree Street, and a growing number of Lucky Fish take-away and sit-down restaurants in Cape Town.
The Tiger’s Milk brand name came from an idea Michael had to launch a craft beer for his restaurant collection, and he thought it a perfect name for his new homely bar and restaurant too. It serves ‘dude food‘, Michael told me, perfect for the hunger built up once the surfers return to land.
I was invited to the opening, and I was impressed with the industrial retro interior (more…)
Wednesday 18th March 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Tourism, Food, and Wine news headlines
* Exhibition space for Cape Wine 2015 is practically sold out, says Wines of South Africa (WOSA) CEO Siobhan Thompson. The largest wine expo in the southern hemisphere, it will be held from 15 – 17 September. A conference will run alongside the Expo, and speakers include Leeu Collection owner Analjit Singh, WOSA Chairman Michael Jordaan of Bartinney, and Western Cape Minister of Economic Opportunities Alan Winde. (received via media release from De Kock Communications)
* The Table Bay Hotel offers its guests special foraging tours in Cape Town, seeking wild sorrel, num nums, nasturtiums, and sweet peas on Table Mountain, as well as seaweed from the sea in Mouille Point, and dune spinach near the Radisson Blu hotel, ingredients which are transformed into a meal for the foraging guests at Camissa Brasserie. A foraging tour, cooking with the chef and a three-course meal with wine cots R5800 for four and R7000 (more…)
Wednesday 11th March 2015 - Posted by Chris von Ulmenstein
Even though we are almost at the end of the summer season, chefs are still moving between restaurants, a number of chef changes having taken place at the end of February. This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Italian restaurant Palma has opened on Bree Street (photograph)
* Bacon on Bree has opened at 217 Bree Street, a bacon-inspired restaurant by charcuterier Richard Bosman and his wife Justine Seymour.
* Culture Club cheese and wine shop has opened at 215 Bree Street, its owner previously having been the GM of La Fromagerie on Marylebone High Street in London!
* The Butcher Shop & Grill has opened next to Sotano in Mouille Point.
* Baked in the Wood is to open on Bree Street, offering craft beer and tapas, owned by Zahir Mohamed of Baked Bistro.
* Honest Chocolate Café has opened next door to its original shop on Wale Street.
* Tasha’s has opened in Canal Walk
* Localé Cocktail & Pincho Bar has opened in Mowbray, as a joint venture between Baked Bistro (more…)