* Ticket sales for Opulent Living’s black-tie event ‘Chefs who Share’ 2014, to be held on 11 September in the City Hall, open from tomorrow. A total of 14 local chefs, 7 international chefs, and 7 local sommeliers will be in attendance. Tickets cost R3000, and the proceeds go to the MADD Charity and to Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. (received via media release from Opulent Living).
* SA National Parks (SANParks) is to invest R50 million in enhancing the tourism infrastructure of Table Mountain National Park, including Cape Point (receiving 860000 visitors per year) and Boulders’ Beach (receiving 680000 visitors every year), making them important tourism assets for Cape Town. The announcement comes as the Park celebrates its 16th anniversary. Improved roads and services can be expected at Cape Point.
* The latest Reserve Bank’s Quarterly Bulletin reflects household consumption growing at a mere 1,8%, the slowest growth rate since the global economic crisis commenced in 2009. Growth in food and drink expenditure in particular declined for the first time in the past five years.
* Namaqua wines, one of the Top 5 South African wine brands distributed in the UK by Raisin Social, has linked its Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon 2014 and Chenin Blanc Chardonnay 2014 to Fairtrade, giving Fairtrade an estimated 10% increase in sales. It is the first of the Top 5 brands to link to Fairtrade, selling a total of 11 million litres per year, up by 15% in value and by 24% in volume between 2012 and 2013. Namaqua sells 75 million litres in the UK.
* Amarula Cream won a gold medal at the Concours Mondial. The marula cream liqueur brand, described as the ‘Spirit of Africa‘, is particularly popular in Africa and South America, and is the 36th most popular duty-free brand globally. (received via media release from De Kock Communications)
* Willow Creek Olive Estate from the Nuy Valley near Worcester has won the accolade of Best Olive Oil of medium intensity for its Estate Blend at the 16th L’Orciolo d’Oro, the premier international extra virgin olive oil competition. Its Directors’ Reserve received a Grand Mention. Morgenster and Vesuvio were two further local brands which participated in the competition. ‘Giggling Gourmet’ Chef Jenny Morris endorses the brand. The estate has an olive oil tasting room. (received via media release from Waterford Communications)
* The 5Rooms Restaurant at The Alphen hotel will offer High Tea from Sunday 29 June onwards, on a daily basis from 15h30 – 17h30, but must be pre-booked. The offering will not be a buffet, but will be in sequential servings, and includes carrot cake, toffee apple, blackberry marshmallow, apple pie, scones, quiches, chicken pie, cucumber finger sandwiches, and salmon finger sandwiches. (received via e-mail from The Alphen hotel)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @Whale Cottage