* Malaysian journalist David Bowden visited Cape Town late last year, when our mountains were snow capped, and he enthused about the city, documenting his journey as ‘Cape capers’. He was accommodated at the Twelve Apostles hotel, and was shown Hout Bay, Chapman’s Peak, Klein Constantia, Steenberg, Boulders’ Beach, and Bo-Kaap.
* Meryl Streep has waxed lyrical about her time in South Africa, both in Cape Town whilst shooting ‘The Giver‘ and on holiday with her family in an unnamed game reserve, in an interview on the Ellen Degeneres Show, which has 3 – 4 million viewers. A ‘highlight’ for her was being in South Africa when Nelson Mandela passed away, and experiencing the happiness and grief all in one.
* The MyCiTi Bus route expands to include Hout Bay (with Hangberg and Imizamo Yethu) from 15 February, connecting Hout Bay with Camps Bay, Clifton, Sea Point, and Green Point, reports The New Age. The City of Cape Town is issuing free commuter cards to make the use of the bus service more affordable, Councillor Brett Herron admitting that the bus service card is a ‘barrier to access‘. The biggest problem will be the slow travelling time for those Hout Bay commuters who need to be at work in Camps Bay and elsewhere on the Atlantic Seaboard, getting there far faster by taxi! We have noted close to empty buses in Camps Bay and on Kloof Street!
* Franschhoek’s Akademie Street Guest Houses, in the same street as our Whale Cottage Franschhoek, has been named the TripAdvisor Best Small Hotel in the World.
* The Taj Cape Town is opening a conference venue in March in the ABC Building on Adderley Street next to Twankey, previously the home to Brio and Riboville restaurants, accommodating between 200 – 400 delegates. The hotel will need to up its game, given the very poor service experience we had with its Banqueting Manager Eugene Myburgh at a SA Tourism workshop.
* Food inflation has been measured on a basket of foods at four supermarkets in Johannesburg, at an annualised rate of 13%!
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage