Sun 6 Mar 2011
I was very impressed with the Design Indaba Expo, which was held in the Cape Town International Convention Centre last weekend, representing the best in the South African design industry, and in Cape Town specifically, 260 designers exhibiting their work. At the exhibition the latest map of the Cape Town Design Route was launched.
It is exciting to see that the Cape Town Design Route has more than doubled to 59 designers, and their work is permanently showcased at their studios, via a map that provides contact and location details of designers in the City area, in the southern and northern suburbs, on the Atlantic Seaboard, and in the Winelands and beyond.
The designers on the Cape Town Design Route 2011 are the following:
* BlueCollarWhiteCollar offers shirts, using the highest quality fabrics. Lifestyle on Kloof, 50 Kloof Street. Tel (021) 426-1921
* Cabinetworks are master kitchen and furniture makers. 229 Bree Street. Tel (021) 422-3830
* Cape Craft & Design Institute promotes Western Cape designers of homeware, jewellery, gifts, fashion and décor. 75 Harrington Street. Tel (021) 461-1488
* Carrol Boyes is well known for its pewter, stainless steel and chrome-plated alloy homeware, tableware and accessories. 43 Rose Street, Bo-Kaap. Tel (021) 424-8263
* Cupcake Country sells sewing kits so that one can make cupcakes and other craft (right). 10 A Jagersfontein Lane, Oranjezicht. Tel (021) 461-4421
* freeRange Jewels offers an alternative jewellery range. Cape Quarter, 27 Somerset Road, Green Point. Tel (021) 418-3607
* Give it Bag designs handbags, laundry bags, and wine coolers made from recycled polypropylene bags and cotton. Canterbury Studios, 35 Wesley Street, Gardens. Tel (021) 465-9852
* Good Clothing designs simple but trendy clothing. 101 Burleigh House, 24 Barrack Street. Tel (021) 461-6599
* Indalo Project creates employment for craft artists, producing home decor, furniture, lights and gifts, 65 Rose Street, Bo-Kaap. Tel (021) 801-4775
* Inkheart Jewellery Design designs jewellery with a personal touch, inspired by childhood stories and memories. 17 Bayview Avenue, Tamboerskloof. Tel (021) 423-9571.
* Monkeybiz makes high-quality bespoke beaded designer items. 43 Rose Street, Bo-Kaap. Tel (021) 426-0145
* Pierre Cronje makes unique and timeless furniture, using the best timbers. Cape Quarter, 27 Somerset Road, Green Point. Tel (021) 425-0374
* Projekt is a crochet and skills training project, making scarves, toys, jewellery, cushions and homeware. 6B Malan Street, Gardens. Tel (021) 422-0739
* Spilt Milk is an easy-to-wear men’s and women’s clothing range. 36 Upper Orange Street, Oranjezicht. Tel 079 358 2072
* Streetwires Artist Collective offers employment, making African wire and bead craft-art. Tel (021) 426-2475
* thisarmy builds ‘apps’. 71 Roeland Street. Tel 082 379 8180
* Township Patterns makes colourful fabrics, and fun and easy-to-wear garments. Cape Quarter, 27 Somerset Road, Green Point. Tel (021) 418-0388
* Urbanative Jewels makes once-off jewellery pieces. Gold of Africa Museum, 96 Strand Street. Tel 082 770 9788
* Van der Merwe Miszewski Architects pursue excellence in design. 163 Bree Street. Tel (021) 423-5829.
* Woodhead’s makes leather and natural fabric products. 29 Caledon Street. Tel (021) 461-7185
* …XYZ Design has the wind-up radio as one of its design highlights. Cape Quarter, 27 Somerset Road, Green Point. Tel (021) 421-7236
* Clementina Ceramics sell individually handmade earthenware products. Old Biscuit Mill, 375 Albert Road, Woodstock. Tel (021) 447-1398
* Design Afrika sells hand-woven items made from river reeds, cotton, mountain grasses and palm fibres, combined with leather, glass and plastic. 42 Hares Avenue, Woodstock. Tel (021) 448- 9761
* Firepetals makes handcrafted art jewellery with a South African flair. 59 Roodebloem Street, Woodstock. Tel (021) 447-2025
* Frieda Lühl Jewellery makes simple and elegant jewellery. 30 Roodebloem Street, Woodstock. Tel (021) 448-1408.
* Liesel Trautman makes porcelain homeware, each item individually finished. 114 Lower Main Road, Observatory. Tel 073 275 9494
* Maike Valcarcel designs Africa-inspired jewellery, using gold, pebbles, silver and felt. 30 Roodebloem Road, Woodstock. Tel (021) 790-8849
* Recreate makes furniture and lighting from discarded junk. 368 Albert Road, Woodstock. Tel (021) 447-0007.
* Sway sells comfortable and easy wearing women’s clothing. Woodstock Industrial Centre, 66 Albert Road, Woodstock. tel (021) 447-5999.
* Zizamele Ceramics makes African-inspired ceramics (right). Corner Chasmay and Kommetjie Roads, Sunnydale, Noordhoek. Tel (021 789-1491
* Chimpel makes luxury leather accessories in a classic design. 85 Sixth Avenue, Rondebosch East. Tel (021) 697-5875.
* David Krut Publishing publishes books on architecture, art and design. Montobello Design Centre, 31 Newlands Avenue, Newlands. Tel (021) 685-0676
* Dear.Rae.With.Love designs jewellery using enamel, fabric, silver, wood and found objects. 12 Peak Drive. Pinelands. Tel (021) 531-2940.
* Diane Harper makes coasters and pendants. 36 Forest Drive, Pinelands. Tel ()21) 532-3758
* Emma Anne is a range of distinctive contemporary jewellery. 6 Chippenham Road, Kenilworth. Tel (021) 762-5465
* Flick Glass and My China combines ceramics and art to express her love of fynbos and small animals. 24 Dartmouth Road, Muizenberg. Tel (021) 789- 9119
* Janine Binneman Jewellers makes custom jewellery. 25 Almora Circle, Tokai. Tel (021) 715-6178
* John Bauer uses antique crochet cloth, linen and lace in his ceramics. 35 Greenwood Road, Claremont. Tel (021) 683-7851
* Matblac makes men’s leather apparel. 1 The Meadows, 12 Meadow Lane, Constantia. Tel (021) 794- 5723
* Mielie makes fun bags. 31 Newlands Avenue, Newlands. Tel (021) 686-2026.
* Skermunkel Design Studio makes fun, quirky and sentimental jewellery inspired by everyday play and childhood storybooks, using enamel, silver and antique cutlery. 44 Palmer Road, Muizenberg. Tel (021) 788-8577.
* Tania Babb Ceramics makes fun sculptures (right). 39 Wolfe Street, Wynberg. Tel (021) 797-7144
* The Potters Workshop makes functional ceramic art. Toledo Close, Capricorn Park, Muizenberg. Tel (021) 709-0212
* Will Martin Projects makes handmade ceramic products. 35 Greenwood Road, Harfield Village, Claremont. Tel 079 663 0532
* Woo-Men Plush Toys makes fun toys for kids and ‘kidults’. 37 Cromer Road, Muizenberg. Tel (021) 788-8249
* IDESO is a specialist product design consultancy. Unit 4 Canal Edge, Three Tyger Waterfront, Carl Cronje Drive, Tygervalley. Tel (021) 914-8444
* Coast & Koi is a range of glamorous and comfortable shoes. 2A Vredefort, 268 Beach Road, Sea Point. tel (021) 434-7597
* Collect makes boutique jewellery. 3 Saunders Court, Saunders Road, Bantry Bay. Tel (021) 439-5262.
* Alpacafelt makes fashion and interior design items from alpaca fibre. Novello Alpaca Farm, Rietvlei, Barrydale Road, Montagu. Tel (023) 614-2674
* Elizabeth Galloway Young Designers runs a fashion design training programme. 26 Techno Road, Technopark, Stellenbosch. Tel (021) 880-0775
* FACT makes a range of canvas and leather bags representing township life in visuals. Jackal River Farm, Houw Hoek, Elgin. Tel 082 491 5243
* Lady Peculiar makes sterling silver jewellery with romantic, organic, nostalgic, emotional and playful elements.
* The African Queen Studio makes chandeliers and lamps with natural materials. 1 Grewe Street, McGregor. Tel (023) 625-1843
* The Fringe Arts is a collective of the work of 70 designers. Spier, R310, Lynedoch Road, Stellenbosch. tel (021) 809-1142
* Wonki Ware makes bright and bold pottery. 42 York Street, George. Tel (044) 884-1883
Cape Town Design Route 2011: www.designindaba.com Products of the above designers can be bought online.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage